The best modern remedy for cold sores may well be an ancient one. Aloe Vera for cold sores can help relieve pain and provide many benefits to help your damaged skin heal from the blisters.
What are Cold Sores?
The fact is, there are no escaping cold sores. Just about everyone – 90% of all people – will get at least one cold sore in their lifetime. Why? Cold sores are painful fever blisters that are a result of a common viral infection. The sores are small, fluid-filled blisters in, on and around your mouth and lips, but can show up anywhere on your body such as your nose, cheeks, or fingers. In most instances, the tiny blisters will often cluster in patches. Once the blisters break, they form a crust that over the sore. Cold sores can take from a week or two and even up to a month to heal without leaving a scar.
After the first time you get cold sores, your body may develop antibodies, and it is possible you may never have another infection. However, in the U.S., approximately 40% of all adults will get repeated cold sores.
What Can Aloe Vera do for Cold Sores?
Unfortunately, there is no cure for cold sores, but there are ways to alleviate the pain. For example, avoiding spicy or acidic foods, applying ice, and using Aloe Vera gel to treat the blisters can provide relief.
Aloe Vera has long been regarded as a natural healer for a variety of ailments. Aloe Vera has been used for centuries to cure irritated and damaged skin, and heal minor burns, cuts, and abrasions. Studies have found that topical usage of Aloe Vera can encourage the regeneration of skin tissue. The natural properties found in Aloe vera to treat and heal damaged skin can effectively be used as a cold sore treatment.
How Does Aloe Vera Work?
Remarkably, the Aloe Vera gel found within the leaves is 99% water, but that remaining 1% contains a host of active components that benefits to the skin. It provides the amino acids and B1, B2, B6 and C vitamins for healthy skin, as well as necessary minerals and proteins. Aloe Vera also has 12 organic compounds, anthraquinones, that aid in relieving pain while also serving as antibacterial agents with anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties.
The analgesic properties of Aloe Vera have the ability to reduce inflammation. Natural Aloe Vera gel is thick and can be used as a protectant. The cooling gel soothes pain and keeps the blisters moist. By applying a small amount directly to your cold sore, you can shield the sore from external elements and limit spreading. Application of Aloe Vera gel on cold sores to relieve pain can be used as a choice alternative to over-the-counter (OTC) medications, too.
How to Use Aloe Vera on Cold Sores
Although Aloe can be consumed in a capsule form or juice, applying the gel directly is the best course of action for faster healing of cold sores. To treat a cold sore, ensure the purity of your aloe product and check that it doesn’t contain alcohol.
- Wash hands before applying
- Apply Aloe Vera to the affected area
- Let dry before eating or drinking
- Wash hands after application
As a medicinal plant with many healing antibacterial properties, Aloe Vera contains organic compounds that can be used as a solution for cold sores. One of the best ways to clear up cold sores is to treat them with Aloe Vera at the first outbreak. Though it may not prevent the viral infection, with active treatment it can eliminate many of the painful symptoms and aid in the healing process.